In this video, I show you how to make a batch of simple DIY potting soil suitable for containers and raised-beds, which we use to grow a range of fruits, veggies, and herbs in our yard. I’ll also prepare a 7 gallon pot with organic nutrients and heirloom purple tomatillo seeds — not true tomatoes but grown similarly.
How to Grow Tomatillos in a Container Garden
DIY Potting Soil Mix Recipe for Fruits and Veggies
- 1 part top soil (find locally or on Amazon)
- 1 part compost (locally or on Amazon)
- 1 part perlite (locally or on Amazon)
How to Prepare, Fertilize, and Plant Tomato-like Fruits
1) Place a thin layer of rocks on the bottom of a 7 gallon container (or similar pot).
2) Cover rocks with a thin layer of mulch.
3) Shovel in your potting soil mix.
4) Level and soak with water. Allow to drain.
4) Plant several heirloom seeds two inches apart, then cover with a thin layer of potting soil.
5) Gently water until your seeds and top layer of soil are thoroughly soaked.
And that’s it. Place your container in a sunny place, water regularly, add a bit of Epsom Salt after your seedlings pop, then start reaping what you sow in just weeks!
Happiest of farming! -maria